Quick links

M.Eng. Track

Candidates electing to switch to the M.Eng. degree track are not required to submit a thesis: the following Course Requirements suffice for the degree.

Course Requirements

MEng course requirements are fulfilled by completion of eight courses over two years: three Core courses and five Elective courses.

Candidates must maintain a B average, with no more than one C allowed.  All courses must be taken for a letter grade.

  • Core Courses
    • Three COS courses from the following list:
      • COS 475 (ELE 475), 510, 511, 513, 514, 516, 518, 521, 522, 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 533, 534, 551 (MOL 551), 557 (MOL 557), 561, 563, 583, 584, 585, 597*, 598*
        • *For students who have entered the program prior to Fall 2023
  • Elective Courses
    • Five courses, each of which must satisfy one of the following criteria:
      • COS 318, 320, 324, 326, 343, 352, 375, 597**, 598**
        • **For students entering the program in Fall 2023 and later
      • Any 400-level COS course
      • An additional course that satisfies the Core Course criteria.
      • A non-COS elective from the list here.
        • Relevant non-COS courses not on this list may be added with the Director of Graduate Studies’ consent.


Acceleration of the M.Eng. (non-thesis track). Students in excellent academic standing who intend to transition to the M.Eng. track may request the department accelerate their two-year program by either one semester or one year, provided all the applicable following conditions are met:

1. Satisfactory performance in all past, current, and future Teaching Assistantship assignments at the University, as evaluated by the Instructor of Record of the course the student is assigned to;
2. The request must be made in writing to the department before the Faculty Deadline for Submission of Graduate Course Grades at the end of the first semester of study;
3. For one-semester acceleration requests: At least three courses completed in the first semester, with all A grades (one A- permitted).
4. For one-year acceleration requests: At least four courses completed in the first semester, with all A grades (one A- permitted).

The department will cancel the request if the student later chooses to remain on the M.S.E. track during their Year 1 reenrollment. Students who accelerate may choose to revert their program of study to its original
length by communicating this request in writing to the department.

Follow us: Facebook Twitter Linkedin