Interests: Computer graphics, animation.
ACM Fellow, 2014.
Active Research Projects:
- Painting with Triangles
- RealPigment: Paint Compositing by Example
- Stylized Keyframe Animation of Fluid Simulations
Previous Research Projects:
- 3D Content Creation Made Easy Through Non-Photorealism
- 3D Shape-Based Retrieval and Analysis
- DecoBrush: Drawing Structured Decorative Patterns by Example
- Illustration and Analysis of Images with Normals
- Suggestive Contours
Adam Finkelstein joined the Department of Computer Science in 1997 as an assistant and then associate professor, and became a full professor in 2001. He is one of the organizers of the art of science exhibition at Princeton. He took a sabbatical during the 2010-11 academic year at the Adobe Creative Technologies Lab, where he was a visiting researcher; and in 2003-04 at Pixar Animation Studios, where he worked on lighting tools. Finkelstein earned his masters and doctoral degrees from the University of Washington. He studied physics and computer science at Swathmore College, and was then a software engineer at Tibco in the late 1980's. His awards include the NSF CAREER Award and an Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship, and he is a Fellow of the ACM.
- “Palette-based Photo Recoloring.” Huiwen Chang, Ohad Fried, Yiming Liu, Stephen DiVerdi, and Adam Finkelstein. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2015, ACM Transactions on Graphics, 34(4), article 139, 11 pages, 2015.
- “Finding Distractors In Images.” Ohad Fried, Eli Shechtman, Dan B Goldman, and Adam Finkelstein. Proceedings of CVPR 2015: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2015.
- “PatchMatch: A Randomized Correspondence Algorithm for Structural Image Editing.” Connelly Barnes, Eli Shechtman, Adam Finkelstein, and Dan B Goldman. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2009, ACM Transactions on Graphics. 28(3), 24:1-24:11, 2009.
- “Where do people draw lines?” Forrester Cole, Aleksey Golovinskiy, Alex Limpaecher, Heather Stoddart Barros, Adam Finkelstein, Thomas Funkhouser, and Szymon Rusinkiewicz. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2008, ACM Transactions on Graphics. 27(3), 88:1-88:11, 2008.
- “Suggestive contours for conveying shape.” Doug DeCarlo, Adam Finkelstein, Szymon Rusinkiewicz, Anthony Santella. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2003, in ACM Transactions on Graphics. 22(3), 848-855, 2003.
- “Robust mesh watermarking.” Emil Praun, Hugues Hoppe, Adam Finkelstein. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 99. 49-56, 1999.
- “Multiresolution curves.” Adam Finkelstein, David H. Salesin. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 94. 261-268, 1994.