Interests: Computer graphics; acquisition of 3D shape, reflectance, and appearance of real-world objects.
Previous Research Projects:
- 3D Shape-Based Retrieval and Analysis
- Illustration and Analysis of Images with Normals
- Measurement and representation of realistic surface appearance
- New techniques for range scanning
- Reassembling the Thera Wall Paintings
- Suggestive Contours
Szymon Rusinkiewicz is Professor of Computer Science at Princeton University. His work focuses on the interface between computers and the visual and tangible world: acquisition, representation, analysis, and fabrication of 3D shape, motion, surface appearance, and scattering. He investigates algorithms for processing geometry and reflectance, including registration, matching, completion, hierarchical decomposition, symmetry analysis, sampling, and depiction. Applications of this work include documentation of cultural heritage artifacts and sites, appearance and performance capture for digital humans, and illustrative depiction through line drawings and non-photorealistic shading models.
- "A Symmetric Objective Function for ICP," ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH), Vol. 38, No. 4, 2019.
- "High-Precision Localization Using Ground Texture," (with Linguang Zhang and Adam Finkelstein), IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2019.
- "Deep Multispectral Painting Reproduction via Multi-Layer, Custom-Ink Printing," (with Liang Shi, Vahid Babaei, Changil Kim, Michael Foshey, Yuanming Hu, Pitchaya Sitthi-Amorn, and Wojciech Matusik), ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH Asia), Vol. 37, No. 6, 2018.
- "PlaneMatch: Patch Coplanarity Prediction for Robust RGB-D Reconstruction," (with Yifei Shi, Kai Xu, Matthias Nießner, and Thomas Funkhouser), European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV) oral presentation, 2018.
- Design, Representations, and Processing for Additive Manufacturing (with Marco Attene, Marco Livesu, Sylvain Lefebvre, Thomas Funkhouser, Stefano Ellero, Jonàs Martínez, and Amit H. Bermano), Synthesis Lectures on Visual Computing, Morgan & Claypool, 2018.
- "Learning to Detect Features in Texture Images," (with Linguang Zhang), Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) spotlight presentation, 2018.
- "Printing Anisotropic Appearance with Magnetic Flakes," (with Thiago Pereira, Carolina L. A. Paes Leme, and Steve Marschner), ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH), Vol. 36, No. 4, 2017.
- "Learning Detail Transfer based on Geometric Features," (with Sema Berkiten, Maciej Halber, Justin Solomon, Chongyang Ma, and Hao Li), Computer Graphics Forum (Proc. Eurographics), Vol. 36, No. 2, April 2017.
- "Automated View and Path Planning for Scalable Multi-Object 3D Scanning" (with Xinyi Fan, Linguang Zhang, and Benedict Brown), ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH Asia), Vol. 35, No. 6, 2016.
- "Modeling the Past Online: Interactive Visualisation of Uncertainty and Phasing," (with Joanna S. Smith, Silvana Alberti, Junjun Chen, Maricela Coronado, Garrett Disco, Anastasia Georgiou, Tamara Pico, George Touloumes, and Gina Triolo), LNCS 8740 (Proc. EuroMed), 2014.
- "Computational Light Routing: 3D Printed Optical Fibers For Sensing and Display," (with Thiago Pereira and Wojciech Matusik), ACM Transactions on Graphics, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2014.
- "Structure-Aware Hair Capture" (with Linjie Luo and Hao Li), ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH), Vol. 32, No. 4, 2013.
- "Modeling the Past for Scholars and the Public," (with Joanna S. Smith), International Journal of Heritage in the Digital Era, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2013.
- "Fabricating Microgeometry for Custom Surface Reflectance" (with Tim Weyrich, Pieter Peers, and Wojciech Matusik), ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH), Vol. 28, No. 3, 2009.
- "A System for High-Volume Acquisition and Matching of Fresco Fragments: Reassembling Theran Wall Paintings" (with Benedict Brown, Corey Toler-Franklin, Diego Nehab, Michael Burns, David Dobkin, Andreas Vlachopoulos, Christos Doumas, and Tim Weyrich), ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH), 2008.
- "Illustration of Complex Real-World Objects using Images with Normals" (with Corey Toler and Adam Finkelstein), Symposium on Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering (NPAR), 2007.
- "Inverse Shade Trees for Non-Parametric Material Representation and Editing" (with Jason Lawrence, Aner Ben-Artzi, Christopher DeCoro, Wojciech Matusik, Hanspeter Pfister, and Ravi Ramamoorthi), ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH), 2006.
- "Spacetime Stereo: A Unifying Framework for Depth from Triangulation" (with James Davis, Diego Nehab, and Ravi Ramamoorthi), IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (PAMI), Vol. 27, No. 2, Feb. 2005.
- "Suggestive Contours for Conveying Shape" (with Doug DeCarlo, Adam Finkelstein, and Anthony Santella), ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH), 2003.
- “Real-Time 3D Model Acquisition.” (With Olaf Hall-Holt and Marc Levoy). ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH), 2002.
- "Efficient Variants of the ICP Algorithm" (with Marc Levoy), International Conference on 3D Digital Imaging and Modeling (3DIM), 2001.
- "The Digital Michelangelo Project: 3D Scanning of Large Statues" (with Marc Levoy, Kari Pulli, Brian Curless, Dave Koller, Lucas Pereira, Matt Ginzton, Sean Anderson, James Davis, Jeremy Ginsberg, Jonathan Shade, and Duane Fulk), Computer Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH), 2000.
- "QSplat: A Multiresolution Point Rendering System for Large Meshes" (with Marc Levoy), Computer Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH), 2000.
Full list of publications: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~smr/