Interests: Bioinformatics; analysis of large-scale biological data sets (genomics, gene expression, proteomics, biological networks); algorithms for integration of data from multiple data sources; visualization of biological data; machine learning methods in bioinformatics
ISCB Overton Prize, 2011; GSA Ira Herskowitz Award, 2014
Active Research Projects:
Previous Research Projects:
Olga G. Troyanskaya is a professor of computer science and the Lewis Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics. She joined Princeton in 2003 as an assistant professor and became a full professor in 2013. She also is a consultant for the Simons Center for Data Analysis, in New York, and a visiting associate professor, Tromso University, Norway. Professor Troyanskaya received her doctorate in biomedical informatics from Stanford in 2003 and earned a bachelor’s in computer science and biology from the University of Richmond. Her professional service includes co-chair of an NHGRI workshop, “Integrating Functional Data for Connecting Genotype to Phenotype,” in 2012 and chair for the Late Breaking Research Track, Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB), also in 2012. She served on the steering committee for the ISMB/ECCB 2011 conference. Among her honors and awards are the 2014 Ira Herskowitz Award from the Genetic Society of America, the 2011 Overton Prize, from the International Society of Computational Biology, and the 2011 Blavatnik Award For Young Scientists (Finalist Award).
- “Missing value estimation methods for DNA microarrays.” Troyanskaya O, Cantor M, Sherlock G, Brown P, Hastie T, Tibshirani R, Botstein D, Altman RB. Bioinformatics. 17:520-5, 2001.
- “Diversity of gene expression in adenocarcinoma of the lung.” Garber ME, Troyanskaya OG, Schluens K, Petersen S, Thaesler Z, Pacyna-Gengelbach M, van de Rijn M, Rosen GD, Perou CM, Whyte RI, Altman RB, Brown PO, Botstein D, Petersen I. PNAS. 98(24):13784-9, 2001.
- “Individual and combined effects of DNA methylation and copy number alterations on miRNA expression in breast tumors. Aure MR, Leivonen SK, Fleischer T, Zhu Q, Overgaard J, Alsner J, Tramm T, Louhimo R, Alnæs GI, Perälä M, Busato F, Touleimat N, Tost J, Børresen-Dale AL, Hautaniemi S, Troyanskaya OG, Lingjærde OC, Sahlberg KK, Kristensen VN. Genome Biology. 2013 Nov 20;14(11):R126. [Epub ahead of print]
- “Defining cell-type specificity at the transcriptional level in human disease.” Ju W, Casey CS, Eichinger F, Nair V, Hodgin JB, Bitzer M, Lee Y, Zhu Q, Kehata M, Li M, Rastaldi MP, Cohen CD, Troyanskaya OG*, Kretzler M*. Genome Research. 23(11). 2013
- “Deep supervised and convolutional generative stochastic network for protein secondary structure prediction.” Zhou J and Troyanskaya OG. Proceedings of the NIPS Deep Learning Workshop (refereed accepted paper, 1 of 2 for oral presentation) 2013.