Eugene Higgins Professor of Computer Science Emeritus
and Senior Scholar,
- January 30, 1939, Weehawken, New Jersey
- Mailing address:
- Department of Computer Science
35 Olden Street
Princeton, N.J. 08540
- ken at cs dot princeton dot edu
- Web page:
- B.E.E. magna cum laude (1959), New York University
- M.E.E. (1960), New York University
- Eng.Sc.D. (1963), New York University
- Professional Appointments:
- 1963-67 Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering, Princeton University
- 1967-73 Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering, Princeton University
- 1973- Professor of Computer Science, Princeton University
- Fellow of the IEEE, 1981
- Technical Achievement Award of the Signal Processing Society, 1981
- IEEE Centennial Medal, 1984
- Signal Processing Society Award, 1986
- Fellow of the ACM, 1997
- School of Engineering Distinguished Teacher Award, 1997
- IEEE Third Millennium Medal, 2000
- Current Research Interests:
- Information processing with solitons;
auction theory and applications;
agent-based market simulation
- Courses Taught (2007- ):
- COS 126 ("General Computer Science")
- COS 323 ("Computing for the Physical and Social Sciences")
- COS 444 ("Electronic Auctions")
- COS 576 ("Nonstandard Computation")
- FRS 119 ("Beyond Silicon: The Future(s) of Computers")
- University Service:
- Director, Program in Applications of Computing
- Acting Chair, Computer Science (Spring 2007)
- Committee for Certificate Program in Quantitative and Computational Biology
- Committee for Certificate Program in Finance
- Committee for Certificate Program in Musical Performance
- Other Service:
- Editorial board, International Journal of Unconventional Computing
- Editorial board, Journal of Cellular Automata
- Program committee, NOVEL COMPUTING SUBSTRATES:
Workshop at the Unconventional Computation
2009 Conference, September 7-11, 2009, Ponta Delgada (Azores), Portugal
- Program committee, AUTOMATA 2008, Cellular Automata Theory and Applications,
June 12-14, 2008,
- Program committee, Workshop on Unconventional Computing,
VIIIth European Conference
on Artificial Life (ECAL2005), Sept. 5-9, 2005, University of Kent,
Canterbury, Kent, UK
- Advisory Committee for the American Numismatics Society Photofile Project
- The Charm of the Discrete Machine: Why the World Became Digital,
Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 2019.
- Snipers, Shills, and Sharks: eBay and Human Behavior,
Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 2007.
- A DSP Primer, with Applications to Digital Audio & Computer Music,
Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1996; Dover, New York, 2020.
- Combinatorial Optimization: Algorithms and Complexity, (with C. H. Papadimitriou),
Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1982; Dover, New York, 1998.
- Introduction to Discrete Systems, John Wiley, New York, 1974.
Publications (2007- ):
(for complete publications, click here)
Computing with Classical Soliton Collisions",
M.H. Jakubowski, K. Steiglitz, R. Squier, Chapter 12 in
Advances in Unconventional Computing,
Volume 2: Prototypes, Models and Algorithms, pp. 261-295,
A. Adamatzky (ed.), Springer, 2017.
Soliton-Guided Quantum Information Processing",
K. Steiglitz, Chapter 13 in
Advances in Unconventional Computing,
Volume 2: Prototypes, Models and Algorithms, pp. 297-307.
A. Adamatzky (ed.), Jan. 2017, Springer, 2017.
"Computing with Solitons", D. Rand and K. Steiglitz,
Encyclopedia of Complexity and Systems Science,
(R. A. Meyers, ed.), Springer, Heidelberg, 2015.
Analyzing and simulating fracture patterns in Theran wall paintings",
H. Shin, C. Doumas, T. Funkhouser, S. Rusinkiewicz, K. Steiglitz, A. Vlachopoulos,
T. Weyrich, J. Computing and Cultural Heritage, J. Computing
and Cultural Heritage (JOCCH), Volume 5, Issue 3, October 2012.
Making beam splitters with dark soliton collisions",
K. Steiglitz, Phys. Rev. A, 82, 043831, October 2010.
Soliton-guided phase shifter and beam splitter",
K. Steiglitz, Phys. Rev. A, 81, 033835, March 2010.
Photon trapping and transfer with solitons",
K. Steiglitz and D. Rand, Phys. Rev. A, 79, 021802(R),
Observation of temporal vector soliton propagation
and collision in birefringent fiber",
D. Rand, I. Glesk, C.-S. Brès, D.A. Nolan, X. Chen, J. Koh,
J.W. Fleischer, K. Steiglitz, P.R. Prucnal, Phys. Rev. Lett.,
98, 053902, Feb. 1, 2007.
Analyzing fracture patterns in Theran wall paintings",
H. Shin, C. Doumas, T. Funkhouser, S. Rusinkiewicz, K. Steiglitz, A. Vlachopoulos, T. Weyrich,
Proc. 11th Int. Symp. on Virtual Reality, Archaeology and Cultural Heritage (VAST),
A. Artusi, M. Joly-Parvex, G. Lucet, A. Ribes, D. Pitzalis (eds.),
Paris, France, 21-24 September 2010.