I am a fifth-year Ph.D student in Department of Computer Science, Princeton
University. My Ph.D advisor is Professor Jennifer Rexford. I received my
B.Eng in Electronic Engineering with highest honor from Tsinghua University in July
2010. I finished my senior thesis in New Generation Network Lab.
I am driven by solving practical problems in building the cloud services,
especially in networking and distributed systems.
I will be on job market in 2015.
- August 2014: Statesman is presented in SIGCOMM'14 in Chicago.
- May 2014: HONE is accepted to Journal of Network and Systems
- April 2014: My project in Windows Azure on network-state management
service is accepted to SIGCOMM'14.
- September 2013: I continue my internship project as a
full-time Software Engineer Intern in Windows Azure &
- June 2013: I continue a joint project with Windows Azure and Microsoft
Research as a full-time summer intern. I work with Ratul
Mahajan and Ming Zhang of MSR, and Lihua
Yuan and Dave Maltz of Windows Azure.
- Peng Sun, Ratul Mahajan, Jennifer Rexford, Lihua Yuan, Ming Zhang,
and Ahsan Arefin. A Network-State Management Service.
ACM SIGCOMM 2014, Chicago, IL USA, August 2014. Slides:
- Peng Sun, Minlan Yu, Michael J. Freedman, and Jennifer Rexford.
HONE: Joint Host-Network Traffic Management in Software-Defined
Network. Springer Journal of Network and System Management,
- Peng Sun, Minlan Yu, Michael J. Freedman, and Jennifer Rexford.
Identifying Performance Bottlenecks in CDNs through TCP-Level
Monitoring. ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Measurement Up the STack
(W-MUST) 2011, Toronto, Ontario Canada, August 2011. Slides: pptx
- Chuanxiong Guo, Guohan Lu, Helen Wang, Shuang Yang, Chao Kong, Peng
Sun, Wenfei Wu, Yongguang Zhang. SecondNet: A Data Center Network
Virtualization Architecture with Bandwidth Guarantees. ACM CoNEXT
2010, Philadelphia, PA USA, December 2010.
- Yang Chen, Peng Sun, Xiaoming Fu, Tianyin Xu. Improving Prediction
Accuracy of Matrix Factorization Based Network Coordinate
Systems. IEEE ICCCN 2010, Zurich, Switzerland, August 2010.
- Peng Sun, Yang Chen, Yibo Zhu, Xiaoming Fu, Beixing Deng, Xing
Li. Dimension Reduction of Network Bottleneck Bandwidth Data
Space. IEEE INFOCOM 2010 Student Workshop, San Diego, CA
USA, March 2010. Poster: pdf.
- Peng Sun, Yang Chen, Beixing Deng, Xing Li. Neighbor Selection
Based on TIV Severity Sort Model in Vivaldi Network Coordinate
System. IEEE ICNP 2009 Poster Session, Princeton, NJ USA,
October 2009. Poster: pdf.
- Software Engineer Intern in Microsoft Azure.
03/2013 - 05/2014
Project: Statesman: A Network-State Management Service
Team: Azure Cloud Networking Team
- Designed and built a network operating system for automatic and safe
- Deployed the system in over 10 Azure datacenters across the globe,
managing over 10 thousand devices.
- Reduced the development cost of management applications by 5 times.
- The system is now the foundation layer of Azure's networking
services to its customers.
- Software Engineer Intern in Microsoft Bing.
06/2012 - 02/2013
Project: AutoFocus: Automatic Problem Localization for Large Distributed Online Services
Team: Bing Autopilot Infrastructure Team
- Designed and built a self-adapting real-time diagnosis system for high
- Integrated into Bing's index service, document service, and internal
big-data analysis platform.
- Accurately pinpointed the services and servers that caused high
search latencies in several incidents.
- Contributed to the improvement of user-experiencing latency of Bing.
- Research Assistant in Princeton University.
12/2010 - 05/2012 & 06/2014 - Present
Project: HONE: Programmable Host-Network Traffic Management
Project: Identifying Performance Bottlenecks in CDNs through TCP-Level Monitoring
- Realized more effective datacenter-traffic management by extending to include Linux network stack.
- In integration with Verizon/Overture Networks's products for business cloud services at the edge.
- Built a TCP profiler in Linux network stack for performance diagnosis of web services.
- Deployed in the Coral content distribution network.
- Improved the CDN's overall latency by 10% by locating and resolving its bottlenecks.
- Research Intern in Microsoft Research Asia.
12/2009 - 03/2010
- Worked in Datacenter Network group with Chuanxiong Guo.
- Built the control module in a virtualized data center network architecture with bandwidth guarantees.
- Carried out experiments in datacenters to validate link failure handling and adjustment of bandwidth guarantees.
- Research Assistant in Tsinghua University.
04/2009 - 07/2010
- Designed and built a matrix-factorization-based network coordinate system to estimate latency and bottleneck bandwidth between Internet nodes.
- Designed a new sorting mechanism for neighboring Internet nodes.
- Reduced the analysis complexity to 10D state-space exploration problem.
- Research Intern in University of Southern California.
07/2009 - 08/2009
- Worked in Prof. Urbashi Mitra's group.
- Designed a channel estimator to improve underwater acoustic wireless communication.
- Deployed and tested the system in a Naval testbed.
- Compiling Techniques, Spring 2012 (COS
- Advanced Computer Systems, Fall 2011 (COS
- Advanced Topics in Computer Science - Principles of Database and
Information System, Fall 2011 (COS
- Theory of Algorithms, Spring 2011 (COS
- Special Topics in Informations Sciences and Systems - Optimization
of Communication Systems, Spring 2011 (ELE
- Advanced Computer Networks, Fall 2010 (COS
- Artificial Intelligence, Fall 2010 (COS
- Advanced Topics in Computer Science - Future Datacenter Networks and
Systems, Fall 2010 (COS
Gordon Wu Prize for Excellence. Princeton University. 2014.
Awarded to engineering graduate students who have performed at the
highest level as scholars and researchers during their time in Princeton.
Among 15 out of all graduate students in the School of Engineering and
Graduate Fellowship. Princeton University. 2010.
Graduate with Highest Honor. Tsinghua University. 2010.
Among 58 out of 2867 undergrads of Class of 2010.
Star of Tomorrow Award. Microsoft Research Asia. 2010.
Awarded to interns who have carried out excellent research works.
Fellowship for Comprehensive Excellence. Tsinghua University.
2007, 2008, 2009.
Graduate Student Government in Princeton University.
03/2011 - 03/2013
Member of the Events Board. Allocated over $10,000 to about 100 social
activities for the graduate-student community.
Student Association of Science and Technology in Tsinghua University.
10/2006 - 08/2007
Vice President of Department of Internal Relationship.
Organized meetings of the branch presidents of the organization. Bridged
the branches to facilitate the cooperation in university-wide activities.
- HONE: Programmable Host/Network Traffic Management Platform
Project website: HONE website
Source on GitHub: HONE
Last update in August 2014.