AboutI'm a fifth-year PhD candidate in the Programming Languages group at Princeton's Computer Science department. Prof. Aarti Gupta and Prof. Dave Walker are my advisors.
My primary focus in the programming languages domain is the automated verification of computer networks using compositional reasoning, but I also enjoy working on problems in programming language design and compiler optimization. Prior to starting graduate school, I worked on research projects in the computational linguistics and digital humanities fields. I completed my BSc at the University of Toronto in 2018 in computer science and English; I received my MA from Princeton University in 2020. I've benefitted greatly from the advice and wisdom of others in pursuing my academic career and am happy to return the favour, so please feel free to get in touch if you have questions about grad school (and apologies in advance if it takes me some time to respond).
- Timothy Alberdingk Thijm, Ryan Beckett, Aarti Gupta, David Walker. "Modular Control Plane Verification via Temporal Invariants," arXiv preprint arXiv:2204.10303, 2022 pdf
- Timothy Alberdingk Thijm, Ryan Beckett, Aarti Gupta, David Walker. "Kirigami, the Verifiable Art of Network Cutting," The 30th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP 2022), 2022. (Awarded Best Paper Award) pdf
- T. Alberdingk Thijm, G. Atkinson, L. Jagadeesan and M. Thottan, "A Matter of Trust: Verification of Security and Performance for Network Platform as a Service," 2021 51st Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks - Supplemental Volume (DSN-S), 2021, pp. 49-52, doi: 10.1109/DSN-S52858.2021.00030. pdf
- Wachsmuth, Henning; Naderi, Nona; Hou, Yufang; Bilu, Yonatan; Prabhakaran, Vinod; Alberdingk Thijm, Timothy; Hirst, Graeme; and Stein, Benno. "Computational argumentation quality assessment in natural language." 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Valencia, April 2017, 176-187. pdf
- Beelen, K., Thijm, T., Cochrane, C., Halvemaan, K., Hirst, G., Kimmins, M., … Whyte, T. (2017). "Digitization of the Canadian Parliamentary Debates". Canadian Journal of Political Science, 50(3), 849-864. doi:10.1017/S0008423916001165. pdf
- Cloudflare Research, summer 2022: research intern
- Nokia Bell Labs, summer 2020: Bell Labs summer intern
- Trail of Bits, summer 2018: security engineering intern
- Co-teacher for COMP102 (Computer Literacy), Raritan Valley Community College/Prison Teaching Initiative at Princeton University, Spring 2022
- Co-teacher for COMP102 (Computer Literacy), Raritan Valley Community College/Prison Teaching Initiative at Princeton University, Fall 2021
- Teaching assistant for COS226 (Algorithms and Data Structures), Princeton University, Spring 2020
- Teaching assistant for COS516/ELE516 (Automated Reasoning about Software), Princeton University, Fall 2019
- Teaching assistant for CSC324 (Principles of Programming Languages), University of Toronto, Fall 2017