Example Academic Interview Questions
- What government agencies would you target for funding your research?
- What companies would use your research? Any small companies?
- In what conferences/journals would you publish your work? How do these
conferences/journals differ in the type of papers they publish?
- Who are your "competitors" at other schools?
- Is it possible for academic researchers to make significant
contributions to your field, or are industrial technology
and resources necessary?
- What would you consider as the weaknesses in our department?
- Who here would you consider as potential collaborators?
- Who would you consider as potential mentors in the department?
- Which of our courses are you qualified to teach?
- Which of our courses are you most interested in teaching?
- Given that existing technologies and tools will be obsolete in a few
years, what should we teach our students?
- How would you approach developing a curriculum from scratch?
- What is your teaching philosophy?
- What do you think about having undergraduates serve as TAs?
- If an undergraduate wanted to work with you, what type of project would
you give them?
- What start-up funds/facilities would you need to establish your
- How would you organize/manage your research group?
- How many graduate students would you like to have in your group?
- Where do you see yourself in five years? Ten years?
- What would be possible titles for the first three PhD thesis projects
in your research group?
- What new courses would you create on your research area?
- How did you decide what school to attend for your PhD?
- How did you choose your thesis topic?
- What would you consider as your biggest weakness in starting a faculty
- If you start having difficulty juggling the combination of research,
teaching, advising, and proposal-writing, what would you do to fix
- Do you have entrepreneurial aspirations?
- Who would you most like to emulate?
- What are your non-technical interests?
- What factors will determine which academic/research position is most
attractive to you?