Reading Assignment and Discussion Topics
Computer Science 471
for class on
Sept. 21, 2000
Be prepared to discuss the following issues based on the case:
Sections 3.1 through 3.4
of the Patterson & Hennessy text;
- the attached case (``Byte Addressing: From Laboratory to Practice''); and
- the attached paper (``Hardware/Software Tradeoffs for Increased
Performance''), particularly the passages marked with a wavey line in the left margin. You will probably find parts of this paper hard to understand; you need not master the whole thing.
1. How would you summarize the points of view of the two Johns?
2. Hennessy's performance claim is based on the increased
length of a certain logic path in the byte-addressed machine.
What hardware is involved?
3. From your knowledge of C, what problems can you
imagine in a port of C-based Unix to a word-addressed
4. What should Hennessy do?