MIPS R10000 Document Handout
COS 471, Fall 1996
In the next-to-last week of the course we will study
the most advanced MIPS implementation currently available, the
R10000 chip. The documents listed below (and possibly stapled to
this sheet, if this is hardcopy) were grabbed from the
http://www.mips.com/products/r10k/. These documents
of course convey the manufacturer's point of view, and should not
be thought of as an objective, academic treatment of the design.
- 1. A
photograph of the chip (1 page)
- 2. CPU Instruction Set (11 pages)
- The beginning pages of Appendix A of the
MIPS IV Instruction Set specification.
- 3. Selected instruction descriptions (13 pages)
- Technical specifications of a subset of the MIPS IV
instructions--just enough for certain problem-set questions
(extracted from Appendix A of the above document).
- 4. R10000 Technical Brief (12 pages)
glossy overview of the chip, but with some useful technical detail.
- 5. Introduction to the R10000
Processor (28 pages)
- This is Chapter 1 of
MIPS R10000 Microprocessor User's Manual.